Her Majesty's Greffier is the Registrar-General of births, deaths and marriages and is authorised to licence and supervise civil marriages in the Island of Guernsey.
The Client Services Team at the Greffe undertakes a wide variety of duties, including:To register and provide certificates of births, marriages and deaths;
- To interview couples planning to marry and advise them on the requirements;
- To conduct and license civil marriages either at the Royal Court, St James Assembly Hall or in Private Residences;
- To liaise with the Director of Public Health, hospitals and other health professionals to ensure that all births and deaths are promptly declared;
- To liaise promptly with the Law Officers of the Crown whenever the circumstances of a death suggest that further enquiries are necessary, with undertakers and hospitals and with the Director of Public Health;
- To ensure the efficient flow of information to the Greffe from Alderney and Sark as respects births, marriages and deaths recorded in those Islands;
- To record and file cremation documents;
- To provide a service for the legalisation of documents;
- To register conveyances, charges on realty, wills of realty, deed polls etc;
- To maintain records of registrations.
The public counter at the Greffe is open to the public on weekdays between 9am and 4pm, with the Strongroom (archive and research facilities) being open to the public from 2pm until 4pm weekdays.
If you have any queries on the above matters, you can contact the Registry team at the Office of HM Greffier by telephone or email. Further information is available by following the links below.
Registration of Births
Registration of Deaths